Tuesday, February 22, 2011

The Sewing Room!

Not sure why people call their sewing rooms studio’s. I can not refer to mine as a studio. It is a 10x10 room crammed with all my sewing stuff and my computer desk. It’s the room where I spend most of my time, and the room that I can make my own without anyone else having an opinion. My sewing room; not my studio. I guess if it was bigger and fancier it could be called a studio.

Anyways, I did a few changes. Mainly to the closet area, lets take a look shall we?

My newly organized closet. Thanks to the recovery of two drawer units from locations that shall not be named, a new bookshelf for $15 from Wal-Mart, comic book boards. and 6 small shoebox Tupperware containers (a dollar each) for my scraps. Total makeover under $50.

 001

I have yet to organize my fabric the way I want it. I just kind of put it up on the shelf for now, but its mainly done by collection.  Here is the right side of my closet.

002

And here is the left side.

003

Taking a closer look at the book shelf (that my husband built, putting the bottom shelf on upside down the the back on backwards…yes that will be fixed or I will be taken to the looney bin). On the top of the shelf I have my AB home decors and the green basket that I put scraps in. I keep some of my scraps together in their collection, or if used together in a project. I use zip lock bags and the basket holds these.

004

Here is my scrap storage. I have decided I don’t have room for more scraps than this so its going to be use it or lose it. If they get full then I either give them away or find something to do with them. No upgrading the scrap system.

010

Only thing I don’t like about this bookshelf is the shelf space is limited. (not enough peg holes on the side) Its really not tall enough to put the books on. What were they thinking? Well for $15 it works and still looks nice. I store my books and patterns on this shelf. The patterns are tucked away in the basket.

011

On the left side of the closet I have one set of drawers. I also hang my WIP on hangers as you can see to the right. (Yes those are my fingers…lol)

005

First of the drawers has my charms and roll precuts.

007

Second drawer has some pretty bundles, munki, and some FQs

008

The bottom drawer (also the heaviest, that’s why its on the bottom) holds my FQs. Arranged by designer and fabric line.

009

On the left side of my closet I have a extra set of drawers. The first drawer unit was not enough and I knew I would need more room for future FQs and precuts, so I “borrowed” this one from another room in the house.

012

Top drawer holds my layer cakes and currently some of my bee blocks.

013

Second drawer holds batting.

014

Odds and ends in the third, for now.

015

There you have it. My newly done closet. I really love how it is organized and my fabric wont fall on my anymore when I try to get something off the bottom of the stack. Also everything has a place so hopefully it will stop looking like a tornado blew through my fabric.

Here is a view of my cutting area and my closet. My cutting table is just an old card table on bed risers. Hanging rulers on the wall to give me more space. A magnetic erase board for notes and pinning up patterns while I am cutting.

016

And I added the skirt to the table so I could use the bottom for storage. I basically have quilt kits, boxes and misc. items under there. Mainly things I don’t use on a regular basis.

Not so pretty, I know….why do you think it has the skirt. LOL

021

View from my closet door. My computer workstation, radio and cutting table.

019

Another view from the closet. You can see my improvised design wall (just a piece of patting pinned to the wall), my door of Aliya art, my sewing table $50 from ikea.

018

Finally my back wall. Basically just holds a window and my ironing board.

020

I believe in organization, but cheaply. I mean come on! Who has thousands of dollars for a super studio when there are new fabric lines coming out all the time? Not me!

If I helped you and you use any of my organization ideas I would love love love to see them! I just love seeing other peoples sewing spaces. Obviously mine could be more incredible but I am renting, and on a budget so it is what it is…and its MY room.

19 comments:

Luv 2 Kreate said...

Everything looks fantastic!!!!

Flo @ Butterfly Quilting said...

It helped me to see....but would help even more if you came and organized for me LOL !
Great job!

quiltzyx said...

It looks terrific!
And, even though it isn't "bigger & fancier", you could still call it your studio,if you wanted to, because that's where you create your art. :^)

Happy Quilting!

Anonymous said...

I love your closet set up. Wow, you have a lot of fabric. My sewing room is a 10X11 bedroom. One side has computer and desk, the other my sewing stuff and the closet has our work clothes and books. I call my room the yellow bedroom because the creamy walls always look yellow.

Becky (My Fabric Obsession) said...

oh drool, looks awesome! Loving all your neptune, you lucky girl!!
I also don't call it a studio, I call it the dining room. hahaha!

Jocelyn said...

Wow Amy, your sewing room and closet looks great! So organized. Yep, mine is a sewing room, not a studio. And I share it with the washer and dryer :-)

Angela said...

It looks beautiful Amy! I need to finish organizing my fabric...which would be easier if I didn't keep swapping and buying more. LOL. My room is starting to drive me crazy again...never a good sign!

Katie B said...

This looks awesome! I love how you have your fabric stacked vertically. It is hard to see what you have when it's all in a pile.

Tracey Jacobsen said...

it looks so good! I ♥ it! :)

I really need to get some shelving for my fabric... right now I've got totes. :)

debbie m said...

It looks so nice! I love organized! Great job

Cherie said...

I am drooling over your shelves of fabric minibolts! I MUST finish mine!

Amelia said...

It looks so great! I'm pretty jealous of your amazing fabric collection, especially that Neptune ;)

suemac said...

Nice sewing room redo. I have been in the process of redoing but have not completed it yet. Great incentive here.

Melanie said...

Loving the look of your sewing room. It has given me lots of ideas to try in mine. Thankyou

Shannon said...

Thank you for the tour. I love your room. I still use my kitchen table. LOL! Like you said even though it is a little space you have done really well with it. Maybe after a little while you can buy another $15.00 book shelf and stack it on the other.

Connie Kresin Campbell said...

Love the way you have organized your quilting studio! Small space but lots of room and everything in it's place.

Unknown said...

Nice sewing room. I like craft table with rulers, easy for cutting.

Aggiequilter said...

Like your space ! Currently reorganizing all my stash on mini-bolts too, I've used all the Polar Notion ones I had, and don't really want to spend on more...I'm going to get some comic bk boards!
LOL re. your book shelf, my DH does things like that too! Can you just spray paint it white, as is??

Aggiequilter said...

PS How did you attach the skirt on your table? Double stick velcro or tape? I Like that idea!

Post a Comment

My main purpose I blog is to share my creations with others so I can learn and grow as a quilter. I am especially here to make new friends, so please comment! I love ALL of them!